onsdag 27 mars 2013

About Openbox - the winner of it all (I really hope i don't have to write anything more about this)

So. I thought i liked Cinnamon better than dash. Apparently I was wrong. Cinnamon was also very slow.

Anyway. I tested Openbox for performance. I noticed that there was nothing. (No panels no way to start up programs) And i realized that I liked it. I always uses gnome-do to start programs, guake to do terminal stuff, and some random method to see witch programs are open. For the latest problem i found that docky was the right solution. And then with autohide i didn't have to see anything of it when i do not use it. The best of all: It is fast. Very fast compared to gnome, or Cinnamon (maybe cinnamon is using gnome, i don't know).

Worth noting is that you need xcompmgr to enable compositing.



My desktop, showing docky and guake

I noticed that you need to make your own ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh script. Here is mine


#För att starta effekter
xcompmgr -cfF -t-9 -l-11 -r9 -o.95 -D6 &

#För att knappar och sånt ska se ut som ambiance
gnome-settings-daemon &


#För att byta plats på copslock och escape
setxkbmap -option caps:escape &


gnome-panel &




And then you need the programs installed. To install them run this in your terminal

sudo apt-get install gnome-do xcompmgr gnome-panel docky guake
Now i hope this is the last time I ever have to write anything about my desktop configuration... Please write a comment if you have any thoughts about improving performance or usability

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar